It is no secret that during any given summer day, most attics can reach temperatures above 150
degrees. This unwanted thermal heat can affect indoor comfort while placing a significant, unnecessary
burden on the HVAC system.
As hot air rises, it is trapped inside the attic. It is for this reason, just about every home has soffit ventilation coupled with several small vents and gable or ridge vent ventilation. This is called passive or convection ventilation. Unfortunately, this approach, by itself, does not work. To keep all that built-up heat from transferring into the living space of your home, your attic needs a system to proactively remove the heat.
All attic ventilators, powered or solar vent out the hot air built up within the attic, but a solar unit offers additional benefits not possible with a powered product. Because a Broan Solar PAV turns on at dawn, it goes to work immediately, first to eliminate the moisture that has built up from the cool overnight air, and second, to prevent heat build up before it has a chance to build up to the point of convection. A standard PAV has to reach a high temperature before the thermostat kicks in and tells it to start working. By this time the moisture has already worked its way into the insulation and the walls, doing its damage. Because it has to play “catch-up” the PAV is already starting out at a disadvantage and must run all day. Driven off AC power, a PAV can be noisy emitting “harmonic noise”, and although it is possible to override the thermostat and let it run, the motor is not designed to handle this constant demand.
Key Features - Model 355SOBK
- 7-1/2” high profile, Flush Mount Design
- 20 watt, state-of-the-art solar panel circuitry captures sunlight even on overcast days. Totally weatherproof panels designed for optimum efficiency constructed of tempered glass to resist hail and extreme weather conditions.
- Dome and Base molded with UV-stabilized ABC color-dyed plastic to prevent damage from sunlight and provide greater stability. Low profile, square design integrates well with shingles.
- Hurricane rated to 140 mph winds and Florida Building Code certified.
- Quality hardware used throughout. 16AWG stainless steel brackets and bolt, nuts and self-tapping screws for stability and long life.
- Whisper-quiet, direct current, variable voltage, sealed ball bearing and hardened shaft motor with steel motor housing dynamically balanced for superior performance.
- Specially designed one piece, 12” aluminum 5 blade fan pitched for maximum air flow. Operates quietly with no harmonic noise.
- Heavy gauge, stainless steel bird and rodent screen with 1/8” openings provides maximum protection from insects and animals without impeding air flow.
- 5 year limited defective parts warranty
A 5-2-1 Compressor Saver® significantly reduces the amount of time your A/C compressor takes to start.
The solar panel uses the sun's energy to power a fan that blows hot air out of the attic, keeping your home cool and comfortable.